lundi 10 décembre 2007

Yet more strawberries on a sandwich

Well, since I can't go anywhere because there's a gunman loose somewhere around the corner (see the news, 'Cashel street near Stanmore' is about 100m from my house), and the Armed Offenders Squad guys in my front yard told me to stay at the back of the house - which happens to be the kitchen - might as well make another sandwich, right?

I'd made meringues with egg whites left over from Saturday night's quiche - they've been in the oven, on & off on 'low + fan bake' since yesterday because of course I chose the two most humid days of the year so far to make meringue. I'd also made pineapple sorbet because I couldn't resist buying one at $1,69 at the Funky Pumpkin, then remembered I really can't eat more than a couple bites fresh pineapple before my tongue goes all numb.

I ask you, what could be better on a hot, humid day with assault rifle-armed policemen in the yard, than an ice cream sandwich? With balsamic strawberries on top?


update: apparently, the police caught the guy, but it's too late to make it to the university and get anything done before the library closes - I'll be working from home tonight.

Recipes:
Meringue:
- 3 eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- dash of balsamic vinegar (it works like cream of tartar to stabilize the meringue, and gives it a little twang)
1. Heat oven to 110ºC
2. beat the egg whites until soft peaks, gradually add the sugar and a dash of balsamic vinegar, continuing to beat until thick and glossy.
3. Place big spoonfuls on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, bake for 45 minutes, then cool in the switched-off oven for at least 4 hours.

Sorbet:
- a little more than 3 cups fruit, peeled and cut in pieces (to get 3 cups puréed) - I had 2 and-a-half cups pineapple and a half-cup apricots*
- 150-250g caster sugar (or fruit sugar in North America)
- juice of one lemon.
1. Purée the fruit, add sugar and lemon juice, mix well. The taste should be a little too sweet - once frozen it will be just right.
2. Put in an ice-cream machine (follow instructions for the machine) or in a tupperware in the freezer, shaking every hour or so to break ice crystals (my preferred technique).

* to peel apricots, cut a small cross at the top, put in a bowl, cover with boiling water for 30 seconds, drain and cover with cold water for a minute. The skin should come right off.

Aucun commentaire: